Ourcast (by OurCast, Inc.) is a free, real time social Weather (iPhone) app that lets you know ahead of time if there’ll be rain or snow for any given location across the continental U.S. — and it provides a 10 minute forecast for the next 2-hours — plus more. This weather app is great for just about everyone — from the person on the go, to the person sitting at home watching the weather roll in.
Ourcast has 2 main parts: the forecast and map. The forecast is a simple page that has the forecast presented with visual images for clouds, sunshine, rain, (etc.) and also provides the temperature and Dbz scale (rain intensity indicator) every 10 minutes for the upcoming 2 hours. The map portion is the other main weather part of this app and provides a radar look using a map program. You can be found by using the GEO location button or by typing in any location in the United States for a specific area that you want to know the weather conditions for. This view allows for pinching and pulling to zoom in and out and shows your location with a blinking blue dot, as well as other weather symbols (clouds,sunshine,etc.) for those whom have checked in using this app. Checking in takes this app social and allows for anyone to provide accurate weather information based on your location, because after all, a person on the ground is more accurate than a radar, right? The map page also allows you to view the forecast using arrows on the bottom right and left that will move the rain or snow clouds based on 10 minute increments — again, for a 2 hour period.
There are a few other social aspects to this app such as being able to share the weather for where you’re at on Facebook, Twitter or through email, and being able to see the Ourcast weather community check-ins nearby, everywhere, or just your own. Ourcast has both a super clean user interface and a very easy-to-use functionality. It is also pretty darn accurate based on my testing — just watch the iPhone video app demo and see for yourself. Remember, this app is totally free and is better than many of the paid weather apps out there. Check out all our iPhone app reviews. Crazy Mike
Ourcast iPhone App Details
Size: 9.8 MB
Developer: Ourcast, Inc.
Store: iTunes App Store
Ourcast iPhone App Download Link
Follow, Subscribe and Like Us On The Social Networks Below
*Disclosure* The developer Ourcast, Inc. and the iPhone app “Ourcast” are paid advertisers on http://www.crazymikesapps.com.
Ourcast iPhone App Developers Description
Need to know if it will be raining when you walk out the door 10 minutes from now?
Ourcast is the weather app that tells you if there will be rain, or snow, in any location you choose, during any minute over the next 2 hours.
Going for a run? A hike? Coaching a soccer game? You’ll want to check Ourcast and plan your outdoor activities with confidence.
Simple to use, Ourcast provides an incredibly accurate short-term, hyper-local weather forecast. And once you’ve looked at your own forecast, you can participate in the Ourcast community by reporting your current weather with a quick tap of the screen.
- Forecast page with easy-to-read 10-minute weather forecasts covering the next 2 hours anywhere in the continental U.S.
- Forecasting engine that uses an entirely new statistical approach to weather analysis.
- Storm icons and dBz precipitation readings show whether rain or snow is coming or going at a single glance.
- Map view that you can scroll forward and backward in time to track storm progress.
- Bookmarks of your favorite locations for easy retrieval.
- Report your own weather conditions right on the app’s home screen, joining the Ourcast community and making forecasts better for everyone.
- See your own reports appear in Ourcast’s map view.
- Share you weather conditions easily on social media platforms Facebook and Twitter.
- Email your weather to friends and family right from Ourcast’s sharing menu.
Ourcast is just getting started, with many new features and improvements scheduled to come soon. Those in progress include:
- Alerts. Coming rain and snow alerts will pop up right on your device’s home screen.
- Badges. Those who regularly report their weather conditions will be able to unlock new badges to distinguish their reports on Ourcast’s map view.
Join the Ourcast community today! We’re working to solve weather together.
We’ve made Ourcast bigger, bolder, and better! Version 1.5 includes some very exciting features:
- The Forecast and Map screens have been completely redesigned to make the app more fun and more informative.
- We have extended Ourcast’s community features to let you check-in and report your weather and share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter (wait until you see the weather icons!)
- Our forecast model now reports snow as well as rain.
- To give you an idea of how intense (or not) the rain is in your area, we are reporting dBz (weather jargon for intensity of rain).
We hope you enjoy all these new features. There are plenty of wonderful features coming in future updates. Thanks for being a part of the Ourcast community!