Skype is an awesome social networking web app that has finally made its way to the iPad. If you are not familiar with Skype, it is a VOIP service that allows for both audio and video conferencing; as well as, instant messaging, to include file transfer. The coolest thing about Skype is that you can audio/video conference others for FREE all over the world as long as their using Skype. Yes, free communication right over your iPad or iPhone to someone in China, if you so desire. The Skype for iPad app is decent but not nearly as powerful as the web app. Obviously, original iPad owners (iPad 1) can only receive video, but can receive and transmit audio as well as files. Due to the camera on the iPad 2, this device allows for the full monty on the video side (transmission and reception). The features are where the Skype for iPad is a little limited. You are going to have to use the web app to set up an online number and to activate voicemail just as an example. Additionally, there is not much more to this app, but (and a big but) this app does work very well with Skype’s core functionality and it is mobile; which is that much more impressive. While Skype for iPad lacks all the web app features, it is still quite good on the iPad. Watch our iPad video app reviews for a look at more iPad demos and reviews.
Skype for iPad iPad App Details
Title: Skype for iPad
Category: Social Networking
Size: 16.4 MB
Store: iTunes App Store
Skype for iPad iPad App Download
Skype for iPad iPad App Developer Description
Bring your Skype contacts closer with full screen video at your fingertips.
Beautiful and simple, this is Skype built especially for the iPad. Call, video call, or instant message anyone on Skype. Plus, if you add a little Skype Credit, call landlines and mobiles at really low rates.
Simple to use:
• Join Skype on our website or just sign straight in to your account.
• If you already have a Skype account, your Skype contacts will automatically be there on your iPad.
• We’ve made adding new Skype contacts really easy. Once they’re in your Contact list, call, video or instant message them in one touch.
• Flick through recent calls and instant messages in your Skype for iPad history.
• Skype for iPad works over Wi-Fi or 3G (operator data charges may apply). Call Skype contacts on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, PC, Mac and even Skype enabled TVs.
Access free Skype features:
• Talk face-to-face or show what you’re seeing with front and back-facing cameras.
• Use Skype for iPad to call anyone else on Skype – and enjoy near CD quality (SILK) sound.
• Instant message and add emoticons to personalize your messages.
Then unlock even more features when you pay a little:
• Make cheap calls to landlines or mobiles from your iPad.
• Get an Online Number from Skype so people can call you on your iPad.
If you want to unlock these extra features, you can pay in a way that suits you.
• Pay As You Go with Skype Credit – great for when you’re using Skype every now and again.
• Pay monthly with a subscription – best if you use Skype a lot.
• Skype video calling requires iOS 4.0 or above.
• Send and receive video using front or back camera on iPhone 4, iPad 2nd Generation, and iPod touch 4th Generation.
• Send and receive video using rear camera on iPhone 3GS.
• Receive video only on iPad 1st Generation and iPod touch 3rd Generation.
• Works with any H264 compatible devices, including TVs.
* Bluetooth support for iPad 2
* Advertising will be shown to users that do not have Skype Credit, a calling subscription or premium subscription.
* Bugfix for security vulnerability
* Minor bugfixes